11.25.2008

Giving Thanks


Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done. Sing to him; yes, sing his praises. Tell everyone about his wonderful deeds. Exult in his holy name; rejoice, you who worship the Lord. Search for the Lord and for his strength; continually seek him.
Psalm 105:1-4

It just hit me yesterday that JohnMark will be in college in seven years. That means Mike and I only have seven more years to have him under our roof. Seven more years to look at his face at the dinner table EVERY night and seven more years to train him up and teach him all the things he's going to need out in the world on his own. OUCH! That just hurts my heart to think about. But it only gets worse. His two brothers will follow him right out that door just a couple of years later.

I don't think seven years would seem so bad except that I realize my "baby" is six now and it feels like yesterday that I was changing his diapers. Children sure have a way of making time go by fast, don't they? If we could just make time stand still! Watching them grow up these last few years has been priceless and I wouldn't want anything to keep my three healthy and handsome guys from growing into the men God has created them to be. But oh to squeeze them and cuddle with them the way I do now for just a little longer.

This Thanksgiving, I'm going to try and really embrace each and every moment with the people in our lives that we love so dearly. I realize that this might be the last Thanksgiving for a few years where we get to be surrounded by many of our loved ones and we have so much to be thankful for in our lives. I am thankful for seven more years to love, hug, kiss, embarrass, teach, wrestle, and play with my sweet JohnMark! Don't forget to share about the greatness of God's love at your family dinner table this week!

No comments: